Monday, February 13, 2012

Another Lesson from an Atheist!

On Tuesday, 1/24, my blog post referenced atheist and entertainer Penn Jillette. He's one-half of the famous Las Vegas duo Penn & Teller. Today's edition of the national newspaper USA Today features an interview with Jillette that focuses on his appreciation of modern technology. In referencing his use of the electronic reader Kindle and iPad, Jillette is asked what books he reads via these devices. His reading list includes the Bible. In his words, "I read the Bible every day." When questioned as to why an atheist is reading the Bible, he replies, "I've read it three times all the way through. It's a big part of our culture, a big part of our history. I don't just read things I agree with." Why am I sharing this with you? Here is an atheist who is reading his Bible daily. And not only that, he has accomplished a feat that few Christians have: he has read his Bible all of the way through...three times! Granted, he may be lying. And he is certainly not reading the scriptures with a godly intent. But still, it should cause us to examine our own habits concerning our diligent and routine study of the Bible. Or lack thereof. I am not suggesting that we read our Bibles in order to "outdo the godless heathen". My competitive nature may want to suggest such a notion, but I must quickly reject it. I am saying that I find it rather odd that an atheist is doing something that most Christians aren't doing. And I want that fact to stir me in a Christ-honoring way.

No comments:

Post a Comment