Friday, October 5, 2012

Odds and Ends...

Wow! Time does fly. I haven't posted in over a month, so...allow me to catch up on some "odds & ends":

*We are in week 6 of our Radical Discipleship Study at our church. Here's a startling point from this past week. Consider: the American church spends $10 billion annually on buildings. In America alone the amount of real estate owned by institutional churches exceeds $230 billion. Should we discuss priorities? The conversation isn't as simple as you may think, but it is a conversation that needs to be had.

*The college football season is in full swing. My beloved Tennessee Vols need prayer. They're 3-2 but could easily be 3-5 by the end of the month. We need some help on ol' Rocky Top!

*I am beginning a short sermon series this week entitled The Church: God Gathers. God Sends. Let me clarify. The series will be short...the sermons will not be. Anyway, as I am preparing I am finding that our practices and definitions of "church" are, at times, remarkably unbiblical. I pray that our hearts will be recaptured by the scripture's picture of the church.

*"If God promises something, then faith must fight a long and bitter fight, for reason or the flesh judges that God's promises are impossible. Therefore, faith must battle against reason and its doubts."

Martin Luther

1 comment:

  1. I recently read The Just Church by Jim Martin. It talks about where the church spends its money a little while discussing how churches can create a justice ministry. Your first point reminded me of that book.

    ReplyDelete