Saturday, April 2, 2011

Spurgeon on Hell

Today we will hear from another voice of the Christian past commenting on the realities of Hell (see 3/15, 3/28 for further explanation). Here are the words of Charles Spurgeon, commenting and observing in his pointed style: "Do not begin telling me that there is a metaphorical fire in hell. Who worries about that? If a man were to threaten to give me a metaphorical blow on the head, I should worry very little about it. He would be welcome to give me as many as he pleased. And what do the wicked say? 'We do not worry about metaphorical fires.' But they are real, sir, yes, as real as yourself...Some have staggered over the doctrine of eternal punishment because they could not see how that it could be consistent with God's goodness. I have only one question concerning that: Does God reveal it in the scriptures? Then I believe it, and leave to him the vindication of his own consistency. If we do not see it to be so, it will be nonetheless so because we are blind."

No comments:

Post a Comment