Monday, December 27, 2010

Need a Job?

I hope that you and your family had a blessed Christmas. As we transition our thoughts to the new year, let me share this excerpt from the book The Trellis and the Vine by Colin Marshall and Tony Payne. I am praying that my perspectives on ministry/mission will be radically changed. And I am praying the same for you.

"Imagine a reasonably solid Christian said to you after church one Sunday morning, 'Look, I'd like to get more involved here and make a contribution, but I feel like there's nothing for me to do. I'm not on the inside; I don't get asked to be on committees or lead Bible studies. What can I do?' What would you immediately think or say? Would you start thinking of some event or program about to start that they could help with? Some job that needed doing? Some ministry that they could join or support? This is how we are used to thinking about the involvement of church members in congregational life-in terms of jobs and roles: usher, Bible study leader, Sunday School teacher, treasurer, elder, musician, song leader, money counter, and so on. The implication of this way of thinking is clear: if all the jobs are taken, then there's really nothing for me to do in this church. I'm reduced to being a passenger. I'll just wait until I'm asked to 'do something'. The implication for the pastoral staff is similar: getting people involved and active means finding a job for them to do. In fact, the church growth gurus say that giving someone a job to do within the first six months of their joining your church is vital for them to feel like they belong. However, if the real work of God is people work-the prayerful speaking of his word by one person to another-then the jobs are never all taken. The opportunities for Christians to minister personally to others are limitless."

No comments:

Post a Comment